Acuity Care at Kensington Place
We promise to love and care for your family as we do our own.
Moving a loved one to an assisted living community is an emotionally charged process with many moving parts. Our owners, leadership and teams—who have worked in and around seniors for most of their careers—never met a family who wanted to endure the experience twice. So, from a place of deep understanding and in the spirit of thoughtful service, they obtained a license in the state of California for a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly (RCFE).
Using Our RCFE License to the Fullest
Our license enables us to provide not only traditional assisted living support, but also a full spectrum of clinical care that addresses challenging medical conditions. We are trained, staffed and capable to care for residents who are incapable of caring for themselves. In other words, we welcome residents whose care needs are complex, and allow them to age in place if their care needs become more complex over time. We honor our promise to love and care for our residents as family by supporting and resourcing the ability to age in place.
We believe the comfort of familiarity is precious and an important contribution to the well-being of our residents. As a result, we have ensured our ability to help them easily and comfortably make our home theirs, for as long as they choose. Other nearby communities choose not to use their license to this extent or limit aging in place to or only a fraction of their beds. If the health of their residents deteriorates to the degree that they require enhanced care, then they must move out if no licensed beds are available.
Here, EVERY BED in our community is licensed for residents that need our team member’s assistance in an emergency (non-ambulatory by fire code). A third of our beds are licensed for bed-ridden residents and a third for hospice. This means while aging in place if your loved one becomes physically or cognitively unable to evacuate in an emergency, or they are at the end of their lives, we never have to ask them to leave. Our care is more comprehensive than that of other nearby assisted living providers, which distinguishes us from these other resources. Through the services provided by our highly competent, 24-hour on-site licensed nurses and registered nurse oversight, we are able and willing to assist residents who need:
- Transfer assistance by Mechanical Lift or two people
- Specialty Diets: Gluten free, NAS, Diabetic, Vegetarian
- Texture modified diets: puree, ground, soft
- Care under restricted and prohibited conditions by exception
- wound care
- And more
- Memory care
- Assistance due to movement disorders, and more.
Caring for Seniors Who Need Specialized Assistance
Our team is one of our proudest contributions to share. We hire and continually train consummate professionals with sharp minds and big hearts. We seek out people who are highly skilled in their areas of expertise and are driven to serve.
- Our nursing team is generous, on-site each day and night.
- A dedicated Director of Nursing, who is an RN, manages all clinical details and routinely keeps families in the loop about health concerns, medication changes, and any other information that warrants attention.
- A care manager always accompanies residents who need to go to the hospital.
Preventive and Proactive Physical Care
Specialty programs and various devices help us prevent illness, preserve physical strength and boost morale. State-of-the-art equipment alerts us when minor or major changes in health and behavior emerge so we can address them swiftly.
- Rehabilitative therapies—physical, occupational and speech—are located on-site, which make them easy to access with greater frequency.
- Clinical support for our residents includes functional assessments; falls and balance assessments; wellness seminars; and fitness classes to promote stability and increase strength.
- Hydration stations are located throughout the community, and we conduct hydration checks several times a day to prevent dehydration.
- We track weight monthly, or weekly for at-risk residents, to look for changes that signal the potential for an underlying condition.
- We use a bladder scanner to monitor urinary retention, which reduces the chance of infection and the need for catheterization.
- We are equipped to assist residents with chronic challenges including but not limited to, Alzheimer’s, Early Onset Alzheimers, Vascular Dementia, Lewy body dementia, frontal temporal degeneration, Korsakoff Dementia, Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, congestive heart failure, diabetes, incontinence, Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis.
Two-Tiered Cognitive Care
- Our 1:3 or 1:5 caregiver-to-resident ratio means more supervision and companionship for residents in the highest acuity dementia neighborhood.
- Cognitive stimulating programs incorporate easy, fun techniques and games to improve and maintain memory function and foster social communication.
- We use music therapy as a vehicle for connection and a bridge to our residents’ memories and to each other.
- Live pet therapy and robopets decrease anxiety and increase interaction with others.
- Tower gardening for tower to table sensory and culinary experience.
- Pocket programs that cater to each resident’s unique interests.
We do best what we know best. But when we need specific insight, services or expertise, then we appeal to our wide network of specialty providers.
- We partner with trusted experts whenever necessary to help guide our decisions.
- We sponsor and provide educational programs led by guest professionals to keep our families current about topics such as advances in Alzheimer’s research and development, Caregiver Stress Reduction and Support, treatment protocols, preferred care regimens, and financial or legal decision-making.
- Our full-time healthcare team, along with several on-site nurses, work side-by-side to handle crises whenever they arise.
Caring for older adults who are not feeling well or who have multiple medical conditions requires expertise, vigilance, agility, patience, and devotion. We are proud to share that our team here at Kensington Place embodies a blend of these qualities. Together, we are committed to taking innovative and progressive steps to make life for our frail residents as joyful, comfortable, and safe as possible.