Chef Tony, Director of Dining at Kensington Place Redwood City, is known for his freshly baked scones in the community. Try out his holiday recipe below!
· ½ cup frozen unsalted butter
· ½ cup milk
· 1 egg (medium)
· ½ cup sugar
· 2 cups all purpose flour
· 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· ½ teaspoon sea salt
· 1 cup cold cranberries
· orange or lemon zest (1 orange or lemon)
Optional Orange Glaze
- Powdered Sugar
- Orange Juice
- Orange Zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and zest.
4. Grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture. Toss butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, fork, or fingers.
5. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together until everything is moist.
6. Add the cold cranberries. Be careful to not overwork the dough.
7. Flour your hands (The dough can be wet and sticky) and your working surface and then work the dough into either a rectangle or a circle. If a rectangle, cut in half and then cut the two halves into 4 pieces with an X. If a circle, cut into 8 equal wedges. A sharp pizza cutter works well for this process.
8. Place scones at least 2 inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheet.
9. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in a rack.
Orange Glaze Instructions
- Whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- If it’s too thin, add powdered sugar. One tablespoon at a time to thicken.
- If it’s too thick, add orange juice. One tablespoon at a time to thin it.